Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 RaLink RT2860 does not connect

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 RaLink RT2860 does not connect

Hello guys. Been a long time since I have been here. My wireless network card, RaLink RT2860, does not connect to the router when I load Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic (GNU GRUB version 1.98-1ubuntu5). However when I load Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.31-21-generic, wireless network works great with my only gripe being low graphics mode. Anyone have a suggestion or two on how to fix this?

Thank you in advance. You rock!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 RaLink RT2860 does not connect

Quote Originally Posted by aliencure View Post
    Hello guys. Been a long time since I have been here. My wireless network card, RaLink RT2860, does not connect to the router when I load Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-21-generic (GNU GRUB version 1.98-1ubuntu5). However when I load Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.31-21-generic, wireless network works great with my only gripe being low graphics mode. Anyone have a suggestion or two on how to fix this?

Thank you in advance. You rock!
    Is this on a laptop or different computer? The 2.6.32 kernel is for Lucid, which I thought wasn't working for you. If you are using Karmic then you should be on the 2.6.31 kernel.
    There appears to already be a bug filed about this at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/496093 It looks like there are temporary work arounds, and also a test kernel with the fix you could try installing.
    Let us know how it works for you.
    "Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter
    http://maxolasersquad.com/
    http://maxolasersquad.blogspot.com/

Beans

I reinstalled Windows and Ubuntu 9.10 on a dual partition on my desktop. I then went into 9.10, installed updates, then restarted computer. Went back into 9.10 and upgraded to 10.04. Went straight to karmic version, googled how to reset X server settings for my NVIDIA 9500 GS, and did so in terminal. After restarting the computer, I was able to get into lucid.
    Last edited by aliencure; May 1st, 2010 at 03:21 PM.

Beans

I really need help translating what these people are saying mlsquad. Patch I found also completely baffles me. When I looked at the bug link, it seemed to me these people are experts at programming so they have no problem understanding each other. I am not an expert on Ubuntu by any means, I am an extreme beginner. Am I supposed to type the lines from the patch into terminal? No offense to anyone I hope. I just do not understand some of the things they are saying.
    Last edited by aliencure; May 1st, 2010 at 05:28 PM.

Beans

I am an extreme beginner. Am I supposed to type the lines from the patch into terminal? No offense to anyone I hope. I just do not understand some of the things they are saying.
    Hi. I don't know if this will help but I have written up a tutorial specifically aimed at getting the Ralink RT2860 chipset working with wifi and WPA security. I think I have made it understandable for the novice. I am not a Linux expert by any means so that's where I'm coming from. Hope this helps.

RT2860 and Ubuntu 10.04 wireless tutorial

-CB

Beans

Thank you ctbarker32. I will try it out and let you know what happens.

Beans

I am sorry ctbarker32. I got as far as step 6 and ran into a snag:

derek@derek-desktop:~$ sudo make
    [sudo] password for derek:
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    derek@derek-desktop:~$ sudo make install
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
    derek@derek-desktop:~$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    derek@derek-desktop:~$ sudo rmmod rt2860sta
    derek@derek-desktop:~$ sudo mv /lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/kernal/drivers/staging/rt2860/rt2860sta.ko rt2860sta.ko.dist
    mv: cannot stat `/lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/kernal/drivers/staging/rt2860/rt2860sta.ko': No such file or directory

Stopped at this point.
    Last edited by aliencure; May 2nd, 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Beans

aliencure, you have to open the terminal in the extracted driver folder and run those commands from there.

Beans

How do you open the terminal in the extracted driver folder?
    Last edited by aliencure; May 2nd, 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Beans

How do you open the terminal in the extracted driver folder?
    From the terminal, you use the 'cd' command. If you downloaded to your 'Downloads' folder and extracted it there, it will be similar to this:

1. Open Terminal
    2. type in 'cd Downloads' and hit enter (without the quotes)
    3. type in 'cd ralink_driver_folder_name' and hit enter (without the quotes)

Of course replacing 'ralink_driver_folder_name' with the actual name of the folder. On my machine it was 2010_01_29_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.3.0.0

Then run your make commands from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast